As we approach spring, it is hard to believe how quickly the winter has gone by. It seems like just yesterday that we were completing club closing. As we are all painfully aware, low water continues to be a concern as we anticipate the upcoming sailing season. While we all had hopes of a winter and spring that would bring greater precipitation that has certainly not been the case thus far. It is obviously too early to predict what the coming months will bring, however, the Board of Governors feels it is important to keep members apprised of actions we are taking relating to the low water situation.
As discussed at the fall membership meeting, our intention was to continue to monitor the water situation over the mid winter months and begin formulating a plan of action as we had more timely information and were closer to spring club opening. Please know that the board fully recognizes the impacts and inconveniences the water situation poses to all of us and the actions we are taking are done so with the intention of minimizing impacts to members, remaining focused on the financial health of the club, and maintaining the strength and loyalty of our membership. To this end we are proposing the following actions as we approach the upcoming sailing season.
1. The normal dues deposit deadline of February 1 will be extended to March 1. This effort will allow us continued time to assess the situation in the coming months, while also delaying the date members will be required to submit their 2013 deposit.
2. The deposit amount for this year will be modified to $360. This higher deposit will enable members to hold a slip in their name while also providing the opportunity to participate in all club related activities during the spring months. This amount will be credited toward the normal membership dues when paid later in the spring or early summer. This step will also ensure the club maintains sufficient cash flow in the coming months to adequately manage operations, while also continuing to offer the activities to members throughout the spring and early summer which make PYC the vibrant, fun, and family atmosphere we all have come to enjoy.
3. We will delay the payment of final dues to May 1. Normally full dues payment is due on March 1st. By taking this step we hope to provide additional time for the water situation to improve. We are also mindful of those members who have relocated to other marinas. This delayed time frame will enable members to reach a decision regarding the remainder of the season without paying full dues at multiple locations. It is our understanding that both marinas are offering pro-rated dues schedules that should accommodate members reaching an ultimate marina decision by May 1.
In the event a members in not able to relocate back to PYC due to low water, they will continue to be permitted to participate in club activities throughout the year based on the deposit paid. We understand in some instances members may be unable to return to PYC this year, however, we want to ensure they have the opportunity to remain actively engaged in club activities for the upcoming year.
4. If the water is slow to rise the club will offer a prorated dues schedule for lease, owner, and dry sail members based on the following schedule (your deposit will hold your slip reservation until these dates):
July 1 – dues reduced to 75%
August 1 – dues reduced to 50%
September 1 – dues reduced to 25%
October 1 – no dues assessed beyond initial deposit
While we realize there is no way to address the unique situations of each member, we feel the steps above provide options to lessen the impacts to all members while being mindful of the continued operational needs of the club as a whole. Certainly our hope would be that the spring provides the much needed water we all would like. We will discuss these issues in further detail at the upcoming membership meeting on March 9th, but want to make sure we are keeping members apprised in the meantime.
The strength of our membership is a hallmark of PYC and has been a constant through past low water, high water, and other adverse situations impacting the club. The Board of Governors remains committed to the future success of PYC and will continue to focus our actions on those items that best address the greater membership needs in times of challenge such as this. I look forward to seeing all of you on March 9th as we look forward to a hopefully improved sailing season in 2013.
We welcome your thoughts, questions, and comments in the reply box below.